Music Banter - View Single Post - RIP Glenn Frey, Eagles.
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #32 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
No he didn't. He changed one word, on the basis of what someone else posted. That's not changing your mind.

No, I don't. I find THIS disrespectful:

There's no need to say you didn't care for him and then point out the bad things he did in his life. If you didn't like him or had an issue with him, don't bring it up on the day he died in his RIP thread. That's just so crass and in the very worst taste.

Perhaps not, but that's how it came across to me. And why even say it? Like I said, if someone had gone into the Bowie thread, or anyone else who died recently, and made these comments they'd be called out for it. Nobody is a saint, but you don't expect people to dig up grievances with or criticisms with you on the day you pass. I think it was a very ill-advised thing to do. It may have been taken up wrong, but the point is, why say it? It was not necessary.
Eagles were a band, and in some ways a family. Musicians join a band, they become band mates, band members start seeing their band mates as siblings. So there is some family dynamic to it. And this even extends to fans who begin feel like extended family members. If the band is dysfunctional I guess that spills over to the fans, and fans take sides. And they are assumed into the bands dysfunctional family problems.

Like John Donne said, "No man is an island." When Glenn died it not only affect him, but people around him. What if some people were in situations with him and had issues that went unresolved, assuming they did go unresolved. So what are they going through? How do they resolve this issues without him now that he's passed on? And even if there some sort of an apology from Glenn, how do they feel now? Do they have good memories mixed with bad? I imagine it's not only tough for his band mate and friend Don Henley, but the others as well. So I express my sympathy and said I felt sorry for them, because how they must feel now.

I never heard a bad word about the Eagles, but I heard plenty criticism of Bowie even from day one when I first heard him. I admit I've been conditioned to expect criticism of David Bowie. I would not be surprised if I found criticism in Bowie's RIP thread so I would most likely not call them out on it. I thought if I express anything or bring up any personal feeling about Bowie I would only open myself up for an ad hominem attack, even if what I said was positive. I really didn't go through the Bowie thread because of that.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote