Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #543 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
I was going down RYM's list of art punk, and it was hard to find recognizable bands on RYM that weren't notable for both. Was I the one who submitted the original post-punk lsit? I don't think so...

But don't think I can't distinguish the two. It's not my fault everyone's voting specific albums to be both post-punk and art punk. The majority of art punk's popularity is from the 70's and early 80's, and although there are a lot of 90's art punk albums, post-punk bands were making more very famous post-punk albums even into the 90's. Siouxsie, The Cure, Nick Cave, and Echo are good examples. Plus, post-punk is much larger than art punk.

The art punk I've heard is less production-based, and is really more like a "stripped-down" version of punk. Post-punk isn't "stripped-down." It's more rule-breaking.
What I'm getting from you is that you associate the post-punk "sound" with Joy Division's sound and all the bands they influenced. Where do The Fall and Gang of Four and PiL fall into your view of post-punk's sound? James Chance and the Contortions? Pere Ubu?

Can we please get this bull**** art punk list off the thread?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote