Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #3791 (permalink)
oscillate
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
And they lost a lot of what made them special to write music that was merely better than 90% of the hundreds of ****ty bands that sounded just like them. But so long as they've got melodies (and I think you might be mistaking "melody" with "catchy") then who cares if they've become indistinguishable from Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying, right?
Underoath sounds nothing like Killswich Engage or As I Lay Dying...are you listening to the same albums?

I'm not mistaking melody for catchy. I'm talking about song structures that are more melodic in the sense that they are not as atonal as their earlier work and heavier types of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I like Killswitch, too (and As I Lay Dying to a lesser extent). But I am annoyed with them for giving birth to the abortion that is/was the melodic metalcore scene.
I wouldn't lump Underoath under any sort of metalcore umbrella, especially not in the 2005-present sense of the term. They're more post-hardcore, if anything. Blaming them for giving birth to the modern Hot Topic, scene-kid metalcore genre is absolutely asinine. The guitar parts and tones are completely different, as is the style of screaming. I'd sooner compare Underoath to the Used before I'd jump to anything like Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack, or any of those other scene bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvangelionLovr View Post
Hey.

I AM into that Indie/Folk scene (for the most part, love the simplicity and songwriting) but check out Wolfmother (if you haven't already) and Beware of Darkness. Royal Blood is good too, but they might not be your cup of tea.

I'm guessing The Strokes, The Kooks and The Arctic Monkeys are too "indie" for you?

Also Dead Poetic. Though they're not "new" and they broke up years ago, they're a great band with every album having a completely different sound, yet all are amazing in their own way. First album sounds like Nirvana meets Underoath, second album is like early 30 Seconds to Mars and their last album is their most experimental but it works.
I'll check out Dead Poetic. I've heard of them, but never checked them out. I'm not of the mind to avoid anything "indie" just because people consider it that - if I judged bands based on the genre they were pegged with my fans and music bloggers who feel the need to categorize every band like the back of a soup can, I'd have missed out on a lot of cool music.

The Arctic Monkeys never did much for me, for some reason. I don't dislike them by any means, but the last thing I remember hearing from them was "R U Mine" or something along those lines. I suppose I just react strangely to songs or bands that are trying to emulate previous decades in what seems to be, at least from my perspective, a disingenuous way. All I can remember about that song was that the production, and songwriting and arrangement, was trying to emulate a garage rock, bluesy song/production and it just felt forced. I've had a similar reaction to a lot of the Black Keys stuff.

The Strokes are decent, I don't have any gripes about them. I just never got into it.

I guess my struggle among most modern music these days is I haven't been able to find many new artists who write great songs that can stand on their own if they had to be played acoustically, are performed in a way that really connects with you emotionally, and sonically pushes boundaries. I see a lot new artists who do one or two of these things well, if they're lucky, but never all three. Again, a lot of it is taste and what I connect with, others may not, or may connect with something else. And you could easily look back and say, "Well, the Ramones were just a stripped down rock band," but at the time, that was a complete game changer. I see a lot of new bands, especially among the general "indie" umbrella grabbing stuff from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s and not really doing anything new with it. I'm not seeing a lot of new takes, but rather just remakes of what has already been done, at least in today's context.
oscillate is offline   Reply With Quote