Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Do YOU like Satan?
Yes 666 46.15%
No 777 53.85%
Voters: 1443. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #3791 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
And they lost a lot of what made them special to write music that was merely better than 90% of the hundreds of ****ty bands that sounded just like them. But so long as they've got melodies (and I think you might be mistaking "melody" with "catchy") then who cares if they've become indistinguishable from Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying, right?
Underoath sounds nothing like Killswich Engage or As I Lay Dying...are you listening to the same albums?

I'm not mistaking melody for catchy. I'm talking about song structures that are more melodic in the sense that they are not as atonal as their earlier work and heavier types of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I like Killswitch, too (and As I Lay Dying to a lesser extent). But I am annoyed with them for giving birth to the abortion that is/was the melodic metalcore scene.
I wouldn't lump Underoath under any sort of metalcore umbrella, especially not in the 2005-present sense of the term. They're more post-hardcore, if anything. Blaming them for giving birth to the modern Hot Topic, scene-kid metalcore genre is absolutely asinine. The guitar parts and tones are completely different, as is the style of screaming. I'd sooner compare Underoath to the Used before I'd jump to anything like Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack, or any of those other scene bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvangelionLovr View Post
Hey.

I AM into that Indie/Folk scene (for the most part, love the simplicity and songwriting) but check out Wolfmother (if you haven't already) and Beware of Darkness. Royal Blood is good too, but they might not be your cup of tea.

I'm guessing The Strokes, The Kooks and The Arctic Monkeys are too "indie" for you?

Also Dead Poetic. Though they're not "new" and they broke up years ago, they're a great band with every album having a completely different sound, yet all are amazing in their own way. First album sounds like Nirvana meets Underoath, second album is like early 30 Seconds to Mars and their last album is their most experimental but it works.
I'll check out Dead Poetic. I've heard of them, but never checked them out. I'm not of the mind to avoid anything "indie" just because people consider it that - if I judged bands based on the genre they were pegged with my fans and music bloggers who feel the need to categorize every band like the back of a soup can, I'd have missed out on a lot of cool music.

The Arctic Monkeys never did much for me, for some reason. I don't dislike them by any means, but the last thing I remember hearing from them was "R U Mine" or something along those lines. I suppose I just react strangely to songs or bands that are trying to emulate previous decades in what seems to be, at least from my perspective, a disingenuous way. All I can remember about that song was that the production, and songwriting and arrangement, was trying to emulate a garage rock, bluesy song/production and it just felt forced. I've had a similar reaction to a lot of the Black Keys stuff.

The Strokes are decent, I don't have any gripes about them. I just never got into it.

I guess my struggle among most modern music these days is I haven't been able to find many new artists who write great songs that can stand on their own if they had to be played acoustically, are performed in a way that really connects with you emotionally, and sonically pushes boundaries. I see a lot new artists who do one or two of these things well, if they're lucky, but never all three. Again, a lot of it is taste and what I connect with, others may not, or may connect with something else. And you could easily look back and say, "Well, the Ramones were just a stripped down rock band," but at the time, that was a complete game changer. I see a lot of new bands, especially among the general "indie" umbrella grabbing stuff from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s and not really doing anything new with it. I'm not seeing a lot of new takes, but rather just remakes of what has already been done, at least in today's context.
oscillate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #3792 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillate View Post

I'll check out Dead Poetic. I've heard of them, but never checked them out. I'm not of the mind to avoid anything "indie" just because people consider it that - if I judged bands based on the genre they were pegged with my fans and music bloggers who feel the need to categorize every band like the back of a soup can, I'd have missed out on a lot of cool music.

The Arctic Monkeys never did much for me, for some reason. I don't dislike them by any means, but the last thing I remember hearing from them was "R U Mine" or something along those lines. I suppose I just react strangely to songs or bands that are trying to emulate previous decades in what seems to be, at least from my perspective, a disingenuous way. All I can remember about that song was that the production, and songwriting and arrangement, was trying to emulate a garage rock, bluesy song/production and it just felt forced. I've had a similar reaction to a lot of the Black Keys stuff.

The Strokes are decent, I don't have any gripes about them. I just never got into it.

I guess my struggle among most modern music these days is I haven't been able to find many new artists who write great songs that can stand on their own if they had to be played acoustically, are performed in a way that really connects with you emotionally, and sonically pushes boundaries. I see a lot new artists who do one or two of these things well, if they're lucky, but never all three. Again, a lot of it is taste and what I connect with, others may not, or may connect with something else. And you could easily look back and say, "Well, the Ramones were just a stripped down rock band," but at the time, that was a complete game changer. I see a lot of new bands, especially among the general "indie" umbrella grabbing stuff from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s and not really doing anything new with it. I'm not seeing a lot of new takes, but rather just remakes of what has already been done, at least in today's context.

Ahh I gotcha. I was born in the 90s so I don't hear a lot of the rehashing of old stuff so maybe it all just sounds new to me haha. Or maybe I'm so sick of the new-pop garbage that I cling to stuff that is just a rehashing of when times were good.

Dead Poetic is good though man. Maybe just to me, but they're one of my favorites for sure. Completely underrated.

EDIT: Maybe we had different definitions of "Indie" A lot of the bands I hear that are different than anything else I've heard before are indie. Two-Door Cinema Club, Mike Snow, Grizzly Bear, Passion Pit, Phoenix, Milky Chance are all considered Indie but they have a good modern sound.

Last edited by EvangelionLovr; 03-06-2016 at 04:43 PM.
EvangelionLovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #3793 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillate View Post
I guess my struggle among most modern music these days is I haven't been able to find many new artists who write great songs that can stand on their own if they had to be played acoustically
Who gives a **** about that?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #3794 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvangelionLovr View Post
Ahh I gotcha. I was born in the 90s so I don't hear a lot of the rehashing of old stuff so maybe it all just sounds new to me haha. Or maybe I'm so sick of the new-pop garbage that I cling to stuff that is just a rehashing of when times were good.

Dead Poetic is good though man. Maybe just to me, but they're one of my favorites for sure. Completely underrated.

EDIT: Maybe we had different definitions of "Indie" A lot of the bands I hear that are different than anything else I've heard before are indie. Two-Door Cinema Club, Mike Snow, Grizzly Bear, Passion Pit, Phoenix, Milky Chance are all considered Indie but they have a good modern sound.
I was born in '92, so we're probably close to the same age (unless you're late '90s). You're seeing a lot of '90s trends (mainly fashion) coming back as well as some of the album covers and vibes. I'm actually hearing the horrendous cliche '80s synths and drum samples making a comeback in the past few years...

To be honest, I've never understood what the hell indie even is anymore. I just know I've listened to some of the stuff on Bandcamp, Soundcloud, and various YouTube videos or artists recommended by blogs or even just people my own age.

I guess the sound that immediately turns me off is the vocals drenched in heavy reverb where you can't really understand what they're saying with some purposely lo-fi production and a song structure that doesn't really go anywhere. I'm not opposed to that production or songwriting style, but it had a place in the '80s and '90s and it feels really forced to me...a cop out by a lot of bands that can't really write good songs and get by being artsy for the sake of being artsy. Gotta be something more to it, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Who gives a **** about that?
Me? I dunno, to each their own, but I sort of dig songs that aren't surface level songs that only work because they're produced to death, a.k.a. most modern music today, especially in the pop arena.

You know, songs that actually resonated with you emotionally and were well constructed, great songs with arrangements that actually made the song better, rather than propped up something that wasn't that great.

But hey, whatever, bro.
oscillate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #3795 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillate View Post

You know, songs that actually resonated with you emotionally and were well constructed, great songs with arrangements that actually made the song better, rather than propped up something that wasn't that great.

But hey, whatever, bro.
Ja, that doesn't have anything to with its ability to be performed "acoustically." You might as well start rating songs on whether or not they translate to the piano because it's a pretty arbitrary line to make and keeps you from enjoying a lot of great music. There are a lot of great live bands who have terrible studio albums and vice versa. There are some bands that sound fantastic live but without acoustic instruments. All of them have the ability to resonate with you emotionally and also be well constructed.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #3796 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillate View Post
I was born in '92, so we're probably close to the same age (unless you're late '90s). You're seeing a lot of '90s trends (mainly fashion) coming back as well as some of the album covers and vibes. I'm actually hearing the horrendous cliche '80s synths and drum samples making a comeback in the past few years...

To be honest, I've never understood what the hell indie even is anymore. I just know I've listened to some of the stuff on Bandcamp, Soundcloud, and various YouTube videos or artists recommended by blogs or even just people my own age.

I guess the sound that immediately turns me off is the vocals drenched in heavy reverb where you can't really understand what they're saying with some purposely lo-fi production and a song structure that doesn't really go anywhere. I'm not opposed to that production or songwriting style, but it had a place in the '80s and '90s and it feels really forced to me...a cop out by a lot of bands that can't really write good songs and get by being artsy for the sake of being artsy. Gotta be something more to it, I think.
I was born in 91, so yeah. I don't know. I guess I'm just not as picky when it comes to music, not that that's a bad thing.

Try this, even though it may not be what you like:

EvangelionLovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #3797 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Sonar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
something that sounds like Thee More Shallows
Check out Bedhead, Fog
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #3798 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Nimahuya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Howdy,
im new
So...there're few briliant songs which i cant stop listening to, i was also trying to find songs similar to them but i failed...if u could help me out id be eternally grateful (if u dont remember titles just point me into the right direction)

1. Bran Van 3000 - Drinkin In LA
2. Mr.Troy - Soul Surgery
3. Wiseguys - Search's End
4. The XX - Intro
5. Pawbeats & Killing Skills - Sky of clouds (<--- this one is insane )
6. Hiatus - Nobody

any hints would be very helpful
Many thanks in advance
Nimahuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #3799 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Sonar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimahuya View Post

2. Mr.Troy - Soul Surgery
3. Wiseguys - Search's End
I think you may like Grammatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimahuya View Post
4. The XX - Intro
Try Emancipator

Tell me if you like it
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #3800 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 46
Default

Grammatik is dope.
EvangelionLovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.