Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #3794 (permalink)
oscillate
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvangelionLovr View Post
Ahh I gotcha. I was born in the 90s so I don't hear a lot of the rehashing of old stuff so maybe it all just sounds new to me haha. Or maybe I'm so sick of the new-pop garbage that I cling to stuff that is just a rehashing of when times were good.

Dead Poetic is good though man. Maybe just to me, but they're one of my favorites for sure. Completely underrated.

EDIT: Maybe we had different definitions of "Indie" A lot of the bands I hear that are different than anything else I've heard before are indie. Two-Door Cinema Club, Mike Snow, Grizzly Bear, Passion Pit, Phoenix, Milky Chance are all considered Indie but they have a good modern sound.
I was born in '92, so we're probably close to the same age (unless you're late '90s). You're seeing a lot of '90s trends (mainly fashion) coming back as well as some of the album covers and vibes. I'm actually hearing the horrendous cliche '80s synths and drum samples making a comeback in the past few years...

To be honest, I've never understood what the hell indie even is anymore. I just know I've listened to some of the stuff on Bandcamp, Soundcloud, and various YouTube videos or artists recommended by blogs or even just people my own age.

I guess the sound that immediately turns me off is the vocals drenched in heavy reverb where you can't really understand what they're saying with some purposely lo-fi production and a song structure that doesn't really go anywhere. I'm not opposed to that production or songwriting style, but it had a place in the '80s and '90s and it feels really forced to me...a cop out by a lot of bands that can't really write good songs and get by being artsy for the sake of being artsy. Gotta be something more to it, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Who gives a **** about that?
Me? I dunno, to each their own, but I sort of dig songs that aren't surface level songs that only work because they're produced to death, a.k.a. most modern music today, especially in the pop arena.

You know, songs that actually resonated with you emotionally and were well constructed, great songs with arrangements that actually made the song better, rather than propped up something that wasn't that great.

But hey, whatever, bro.
oscillate is offline   Reply With Quote