Music Banter - View Single Post - Artists: How Often Do You Listen to Your Own Music?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
When I'm in the process of creating an album I listen to the tracks I have currently deemed to be in the "final cut" pretty much constantly. Additionally once I've released an album I'll usually listen to it a lot still especially as reviews come out and I'll listen along while reading the review. After that I'll go back to it occasionally but not very often at all, mostly because I've worn my own album out and have gotten bored of it after 30+ concentrated listens off Bandcamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu-Cuss View Post
I'll usually listen to a track like 5 times over the course of a few days after I release it. It's not really for enjoyment, it's just weird to experience it from a perspective outside my DAW, where I've visually seen everything going on in the song for weeks or months on end. Does that sound pretentious?
Both of these are true for me as well, especially when I was primarily working on electronic projects. It's hard to critically judge a project until after it is finished, from the inside all you can see and hear is the individual components, the big picture doesn't become apparent until it's finished. Then you can stand back and judge it like a casual listener, which is absolutely essential if you want to improve your musicianship/production skill. I always found it extremely refreshing to hear a finished project outside of the DAW, it always felt much more enjoyable, fluid, and cohesive when you can't see the inner-workings. Likewise with guitar, while you're playing you aren't able to focus as directly on the music itself, a lot of your attention is allocated to the dexterity and physicality involved, it's much more constructive to judge your own playing without the guitar in your hands.
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote