Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Song Writing, Lyrics and Poetry
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,465
Default Artists: How Often Do You Listen to Your Own Music?

How often do you listen to your own music? This thread is also open to any interviews with other musicians speaking on the subject.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
washed up
 
YorkeDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 3,312
Default

Interesting topic of discussion. When I'm in the process of creating an album I listen to the tracks I have currently deemed to be in the "final cut" pretty much constantly. Additionally once I've released an album I'll usually listen to it a lot still especially as reviews come out and I'll listen along while reading the review. After that I'll go back to it occasionally but not very often at all, mostly because I've worn my own album out and have gotten bored of it after 30+ concentrated listens off Bandcamp.
__________________
http://cloudcover1.bandcamp.com/
http://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
You are literally hitler.
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Lu-Cuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Wired
Posts: 55
Default

I'll usually listen to a track like 5 times over the course of a few days after I release it. It's not really for enjoyment, it's just weird to experience it from a perspective outside my DAW, where I've visually seen everything going on in the song for weeks or months on end. Does that sound pretentious?
Lu-Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
V8s & 12 Bars
 
EPOCH6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
When I'm in the process of creating an album I listen to the tracks I have currently deemed to be in the "final cut" pretty much constantly. Additionally once I've released an album I'll usually listen to it a lot still especially as reviews come out and I'll listen along while reading the review. After that I'll go back to it occasionally but not very often at all, mostly because I've worn my own album out and have gotten bored of it after 30+ concentrated listens off Bandcamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu-Cuss View Post
I'll usually listen to a track like 5 times over the course of a few days after I release it. It's not really for enjoyment, it's just weird to experience it from a perspective outside my DAW, where I've visually seen everything going on in the song for weeks or months on end. Does that sound pretentious?
Both of these are true for me as well, especially when I was primarily working on electronic projects. It's hard to critically judge a project until after it is finished, from the inside all you can see and hear is the individual components, the big picture doesn't become apparent until it's finished. Then you can stand back and judge it like a casual listener, which is absolutely essential if you want to improve your musicianship/production skill. I always found it extremely refreshing to hear a finished project outside of the DAW, it always felt much more enjoyable, fluid, and cohesive when you can't see the inner-workings. Likewise with guitar, while you're playing you aren't able to focus as directly on the music itself, a lot of your attention is allocated to the dexterity and physicality involved, it's much more constructive to judge your own playing without the guitar in your hands.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycob View Post
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Default

I listen to it as I record it, and then when it is finished I will listen to it a couple of times. Then I will move on to the next song that is rolling out of my subconscious and onto a sheet of paper. I'm not a great singer or guitar player I just like to write lyrics and sing them while playing my guitar.
Shadows5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
How often do you listen to your own music? This thread is also open to any interviews with other musicians speaking on the subject.
Well I pretty much listen to my own music all the time, because I write to my taste, so obviously it's stuff I like. Sometimes it needs to breathe for a month after I record it because I've just heard it nine thousand times, but I swing back around to it.
Stormelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene
 
Mondo Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,338
Default

As often as everyone else

(read: not at all)
__________________
https://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Hmm, what's this in my pocket?

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
washed up
 
YorkeDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 3,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
As often as everyone else

(read: not at all)
You say as a review of your new album sits in the forum member album reviews thread unresponded to ayy lmao
__________________
http://cloudcover1.bandcamp.com/
http://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
You are literally hitler.
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene
 
Mondo Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,338
Default

you say this as I dkaliserutsiltbefvmh
__________________
https://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Hmm, what's this in my pocket?

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Midnight Rolls Around
 
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 4,093
Default

Usually 3-4 times after I've released it, to prove to myself it's actually worth putting online, more to see if it's something I would readily listen to.
__________________
I DON"T SMOKE CRACK MUDAFUCKKKA I SELL IIIIT!!!

YW Fam: All MB Music Projects Under One Roof

Emo/Pop Punk Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.