Music Banter - View Single Post - The IDIOTIC new North Carolina Gender law
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
bob_32_116
Music Addict

I'm not gonna take the conservative side at all.

Put yourself in the position of a trans person. No I am not trans, nor do I have any trans acquaintances as far as I know, but I do see and hear a lot of quotes from these people, and what I get from them is that the person may have been born as a particular gender, but they feel like the opposite gender, they prefer to dress and act like the opposite gender, and generally make a lot of effort to look like the opposite gender. This is not like some hobby thing, like "I think I'll dye my hair orange this month"; it's even misleading to call it a lifestyle choice, because in many cases those people have spent years trying to deny this is how they feel. Some go so far as to undergo "gender reassignment surgery" - what used to be called "sex change" but that term is now disparaged because it's a somewhat narrow view of what sex is. It's not a trivial operation, and it can be a costly one, so it's not something people do on a whim.

OK. Now the question is, which toilet to use. In an ideal world there would always be unisex toilets available; we live in a non-ideal world, but nevertheless nearly all toilets have private cubicles. I'd be willing to bet that someone who, say, looks and dresses like a man but doesn't have a dick would in most cases opt to go to the men's toilet and then head for a cubicle. No problem there (as long as enough cubicles are available).

That person in the pic posted by Paul_Smeenus is a perfect example. I'd feel far less uncomfortable, as a man, having that person walk into the men's toilets than I would, as a woman, seeing them in the ladies'. I'd like to know: who is actually being served by this proposed law? I would say no one, except possibly bigots who believe nothing except "normal" male and female roles and identities should be allowed on the planet.
bob_32_116 is offline   Reply With Quote