Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog Folk from the Anglosphere
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Fuchsia there is so much to say about the music I don't know where to begin. It was recorded in the transition years between Psychedelia to Progressive Rock, and it seems where it has a foot in each. There are times they remind me of Genesis, and other times like ELO.

Fuchsia - Gone With The Mouse
^ An little-known band and an interesting, complex song, Neapolitan. It's the kind of song that requires a few listens I think, so I'll be coming back to play it again.Thanks.

It seems pretty clear that Fuchsia take their name from one of the characters in that sprawling, wordy classic of gothic fiction, the Gormenghast trilogy. If anyone is in doubt, check out the cover of this paperback edition of the first novel, Titus Groan, which shows the author's own drawing of Fuchsia:-

Spoiler for big pic of the original Fuchsia:

So this a good place to mention the band that actually called themselves Titus Groan and who, by coincidence, are kind of prog-folky too. This is one of the better tracks off their album, and the song title refers to a part of the enormous Gormenghast castle in which M Peake's novels are set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
Here are a couple of groups that haven't been posted yet. Perhaps a bit more rock oriented, but there are enough folk and prog elements in both bands to include them here (IMO)...

^ I haven't Heard the name Fotheringay in years, Psy-Fi ! That video clip is a real time capsule back to the style of so many English bands in the seventies; so serious about getting their music right, so uninterested in putting on a show of any kind.

As for Curved Air, I used to love their Vivaldi tracks, but I'm not sure if they really count as Prog Folk. Unless you can demonstrate otherwise, I'm afraid I'll have to report you to a mod for going off topic!