Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog Folk from the Anglosphere
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
There are two bass players that are credit on the album The Sound Of Sunforest, Joe Mudele and Herbie Flowers. The latter played bass for David Bowie and Lou Reed, and played bass on Walk on the Wild Side ... believe it or not. Herbie Flowers was only paid £17 for his contribution on the song. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It was only when I reread your post that it struck me how unexpected it is that Sunforest and Lou Reed should have a musician in common.

Right now I'm exploring the discography of Renaissance, who in their earliest incarnation, had all the prog elements you could wish for:-

For me at least, there was a surprising connection too; the band was formed by none other than Keith Relf, distinctive frontman of the Yardbirds, with his former bandmate Jim McCarty. The girl with the tambourine is Keith's sister, Jane and the keyboard player with glasses was John Hawken, who arrived from The Nashville Teens and who would later move on to The Strawbs.

P.S. My favourite Renaissance lyric so far, more Beefheart than prog folk, is:-

................................................. Black mambo bamboo business on a red sun night.

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 05-31-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote