Music Banter - View Single Post - Aesthetics as it Pertains to Contemporary Music
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #50 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
I think you're using a narrow scope of "technical talent". Being responsible for a single instrument and having roles in a band is one thing and one kind of technical talent.

Being able to compose and produce an arrangement for several instruments (even if they're samples) is a whole 'nother technique.
Yes if your a composer of a classical orchestra or brass band that takes "a high degree of talent" as you have to virtually know how to play and tune every instrument, arrange them when they come in, and know the timing and notes of every musical key.

I would however argue that most hip hop and electronic artists don't know a lot about musical theory, they are sampling and matching a beat while often not knowing what musical key it is in, and yes it does take a degree of talent, but not that of playing in a band whether it be rock, soul, funk, or jazz. You have to remember even as the rhythm section in a band you have to be able to cut it. If you want to be able to play at the highest level you have to be damn good!

I consider myself a fairly good bass player, but if I tried out for Led Zeppelin tomorrow, the guys in the band would probably laugh in my face. Unless your trying out for a punk band you have to be extremely good!

I'm a fan of both hip hop, electronic music and punk so I'm not going to slag of the genres, but push button dj's like Paul Oakenfold who match beats to the arpeggio in their synth, can only dream of having 1/10th of the talent than James Brown's backing band, but that's just technology, and the democratization on music, inevitable.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote