Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rock Album Survivor Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #104 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Duty Now for the Future by Devo

Devo's first album wasd all about having as much fun one could possibly have. That is exactly what made Devo so good and so influential. The thing is, that wasn't the second album. It just wasn't as fun. Still, it's very well worth listening to, and still inlfuential.

Upon the first note, I wondered where their love for fun had gone. As soon as “Clockout” had begun, I realized it wasn't gone. It was just overshadowed by the albums' complexity. It seems that their will to experiment actually got in the way of their fun-loving personality that made the first album so great. Still, Clockout succeeds as an opening song (not counting the one minute intro track). It sets the standards for the rest of the album and it's actually great. The rest of the album has a slight synthpunk feel, obviously noting that Devo is also influential in the realm of synthpunk. The really are one of the most influential bands ever.

Soon after the first couple tracks, Devo retains their wonderful take on fun and frolic, even though it is not as strong as their debut. Still, the album is very well worth it due to their new, synthy take on their own style. Occasionally, the album feels a bit like a bunch of robots making a punk album for a Sega Genesis game. Nostalgia powers, activate.

I think this album is very well worth it for punk and new wave fans. And I doubt many new Devo fans will be disappointed. It's a great album, liker the debut.

87/100. Gonna be somewhere in the middle of my vote if it stays on new wave and does no get moved to synthpunk. If it does get moved to synthpunk, it'll remain a bit on the high side of my list.

Last edited by JGuy Grungeman; 06-16-2016 at 02:35 PM.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote