Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is "Post-Punk" even considered "Punk"?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #201 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Well, they were a couple different things over the course of their career, but I think you can make the case for Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals as prog albums. The stuff before that I'd consider psychedelic, and the stuff after I'd consider, I guess, art rock.
I still think that Dark Side and Wish You Were Here were both overwhelmingly psychedelic despite having elements that you might subscribe to a prog band, and I guess you could say those are their most progishest albums. However, I've always thought that Animals was one of the more inappropriately deemed prog album because I just don't think that concept albums and lengthy tracks belong only to prog.

I say that Pink Floyd is to prog as Alice in Chains is to grunge. Both are very widely regarded as such, but both seem to miss very key elements of the genre that they're supposedly a part of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
But the thing is you're not THINKING about what makes prog prog.
Says the guy who says "but all these other people say it is, so it must be!"

Quote:
Prog is about provoking-thought
I really needed that.

Quote:
Bottom line is, you can disbelieve it all you want, but prog wouldn't be prog without the real pioneers of prog and its customs, customs which Pink Floyd did better than most bands during the 70's.
Ignore my point about how you can influence a genre without being a part of it again, please. I really love it when you do things like that.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote