Music Banter - View Single Post - Whadaya think of Bob Dylan's voice?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #34 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ HaHa! Nothing wrong with being serious about music though. That's what brought most of us here in the first place isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I always considered The Rooftop Singers and Kingston Trio as the cool side of the American Folk Revival. Peter, Paul and Mary as the Pop side. They (PP&M) played Nylon string guitars for Pete's sake. There is no nylon in Folk. You won't find a nylon guitar playing in Country Blues or Olde Timey or traditional Appalachian Folk music. I was undecided about Bob, and bit suspicious if he was just jumping on the bandwagon with Folk. I seen a doc about him and I guess he was legit. He came across as a music lover.
^ Thanks for that curious detail about strings, Neapolitan; it's something that would never have occured to me !
Quote:
Walk Right In is amazing, you have to hear it in full to get the 12 string work, in some small way it changed the face of music. (Erik Darling from The Rooftop Singers is one of my music heroes.)

The Rooftop Singers "Walk Right In"

Kingston Trio-Scotch & Soda
^ Walk Right In certainly has something special about it; prior to yesterday, I probably hadn't heard it for about 40 years, but I could recall it just like that - the tune the title and all.

Sorry; in my enthusiasm for Dylan I was a bit too quick to dismiss other '60s American folk singers, who perhaps I should explore a bit more. Apart from a few hardcore Greenwich Villagers like Dave Van Ronk and Richard FariƱa, I don't know much about them.