Music Banter - View Single Post - Big Four Bands Thread Round 19: Gothic Rock
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #961 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Also, re lyrics, although there are some lyricists I like, outside of a couple genres, 99% of the time I pay almost no attention to lyrics. Heck that's even the case with some lyricists I like. For example, I don't usually pay much attention to lyrics when I listen to Bob Dylan. I do like his lyrics when I pay attention to them, but usually I don't pay attention when I'm listening to him.

The genres that are an exception for me tend to be country, comedy-oriented stuff, and the (too) few artists there are in the vein of, say, Laurie Anderson or Ken Nordine.

I also don't think any lyrics are bad--to me, for most music, lyrics are ultimately just sounds to make with your mouth in a musical context, but I also don't think that most lyrics are very interesting. For one, I like to see people do creative formal/structural/artistic things with lyrics, but not many concentrate on that. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't care for that, either. For example, Jon Anderson of Yes does this, but a lot of people feel that he's a bad lyricist. I disagree.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote