Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #12445 (permalink)
Dylstew
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I loved Dookie when I was younger. Then I watched the evolution of the band over time and I felt dirty when near their records. **** commercial band. 40 year old douches trying to actively appeal to 15 year olds. Lame. I'm done with them. Britney Spears has more musical credibility.

Punk is counter culture, Green Day is about as counter cultural as McDonalds.
It's the sound (sound of the instruments, riffing style, type of melodies), etc that make me find their earlier stuff pop punk. It's poppier punk rock, it's punk. It is musically at least very similar to punk, at least. Anything outside the music has nothing do with why I think it's punk. Just because you find it awful (I find it meh generally) doesn't mean it's not punk. Just because it sounds different from the traditional stylr doesn't mean it's not punk. Just because it doesn't subscribe to the punk subculture ideals doesn't mean they don't make punk songs. **** the elitism.

It's not Green Day I've been defending elphenor. i don't give a **** about them, it's the elitism on what is and isn't punk, where people consider incredibly similar bands not Punk and some very different bands punk for some arbitrary reason.

I like Punk, from Iggy Pop to Stiff Little Fingers to Minor Threat to Charles Bronson to the Flatliners to a ****ing okay Green Day song. I'd like some sort of vareity in my favourite big genre.

Also, hip hop had a counter culture too. Does it not have a sound either?

Last edited by Dylstew; 08-19-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote