Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #8620 (permalink)
Yac
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I haven't tried the newest one because I can't on this ****ty laptop, but I am one of those annoying persons who insist that the 1994 original is the one to play. X-Com 2012 is allright, but I gotta admit I'm really bored with it by now. So many things about it that make me grumpy. Everyone else thinks it's good so...
I think I played all the games ever released in the series. The 2012 game was good, but it wasn't great. It got rather boring rather quickly. The sequel though .. the whole strategic level changes, as you move around in your base. It's no longer just a place where you shoot down ufos and send teams, it's a place where you have to choose. Prioritize.
As for tactical level - asides from several minor updates like new equipment or whatnot, there is one huge change - virtually every mission has a time limit, and it's rarely more than 8 turns. Unless you start the scenario in cover, which means the timer will start when you are discovered, not when you enter mission area. This is a change I thought was horrible .. until I actually played the game (and completed it). Gone are the "let's all camp in overwatch and have one guy lure the aliens to us" missions, in most cases anyway. The game is challenging, it actually forces you to act and sometimes compromise tactically.
Generally X-com 2 is the game X-com wanted to be, but failed.
Yac is offline   Reply With Quote