Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #17826 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Every time I watch the original, I'm amazed at just how far George Romero went with it. Naked zombies, plenty of gore, a black hero - all things that were big no nos back then. Of course, Dawn of the Dead is his masterpiece, but NOLD holds a special place in zombie movie history.
Yeah that scene where you see the zombies eating is pretty ****ing gnarly. And I'd love to have seen the audience's faces when the main female character goes up the stairs and sees the half-eaten face. And yeah, even apart from just having a black lead I imagine more than a few anti-integrationists were prune-faced at seeing a black guy school some weaselly white dude... even if the white dude turned out to be right in the end... which I'm still not sure how to take as far as it being potential social commentary.

But I'd definitely take Night over Dawn. Dawn's great, but too much dodgy ****. The opening scene had so many parts that made it obvious that Romero knows **** all about how to do traditional action, and that racist psycho was OTT to the point of inducing cringe. He can also be kind of hit-or-miss with drama, and since Dawn has more character drama, it also fails more. And while the basic premise is awesome, it's still not as raw, primal, and awesomely minimalist as Night's.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote