Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rolling Stones vs. The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #203 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Man
The topic of this thread is "The Beatles vs. the Stones"--who's BETTER. It's NOT about whether or not the Stones have created "some really amazing, innovative, and influential music."

By your own admission, the Stones have made some "crap" music over the years (actually quite a bit of "crap" music, including several of their albums). Whereas the Beatles NEVER made even one "crap" album. The Beatles CONSISTENTLY and REPEATEDLY turned out "really amazing, innovative, and influential music"--whereas the Stones have been an inconsistent "hit or miss" type band for over the last thirty years.

By virtually every known indicator of greatness, the Beatles destroy the Rolling Stones:

1. Record Sales: The Beatles have sold over a BILLION albums worldwide, which easily dwarfs what the Stones have sold. Also, the Beatles have FAR MORE #1 hits. This doesn't look good for the Stones, who have been around about 36 YEARS longer.

Easy victory in this category for the Beatles.

2. Musical Influence: The Beatles are easily the most influential rock band in human history, and very likely the most influential act in music history--in ANY genre.

3. Social Influence: Again, easily the most influential rock band in history. The Beatles took not only the music world by storm, but the entire CULTURE of North America, Europe and the British Empire--and were also immensely influential in the more advanced Asian and Latin nations.

4. Consistency: The Beatles produced a prodigious amount of music during their relatively brief existence. Few bands in history have released so many original albums in such a short span of time. Every single one of their albums and virtually all of their songs maintained the highest musical standards.

5. Innovation: Their albums and songs were incredibly diverse and groundbreaking. Albums like "Rubber Soul", "Revolver", "Sgt. Pepper", "The Magical Mystery Tour" and "The White Album"--were virtually REVOLUTIONARY in their impact.

Quite frankly, I can't think of one relevant category where the Stones can be considered even equal to the Beatles, much less superior.

Summation: The Beatles reign supreme over the Stones.
yeah, you've said all that at least a dozen times before. Know what the only thing that stood out to me was? This sentence right here:
"I can't think of one relevant category where the Stones can be considered even equal to the Beatles, much less superior."

yes, YOU can't think of one category where the stones can be considered equal. Not everyone judges greatness in the same way, in my opinion, even though the stones have had some crap songs, they've had just as many songs that I consider great as the beatles have. What's more, I don't consider the quantity of music produced has anything to do with how talented the band is. We just have different ways of defining what a great band is, that's all there is to it. No matter how hard you try, it's impossible to prove me wrong, because its not a question of right or wrong, its a question of opinion.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER