Music Banter - View Single Post - Lana Del Rey
Thread: Lana Del Rey
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #198 (permalink)
ChelseaDagger
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
i had the great pleasure of seeing her on the Ultraviolence tour...and she was spot on live...i'm not going to say that there is not polishing on the recordings....but live she was as good vocally if not better
Nice! I always thought she would give a killer live performance (different genre, but this was one reason I loved Collective Soul so much; their shows were consistently heads and shoulders above their studio albums) although I'll have to take your word for it, in regards to Lana, because I don't go to shows these days.

Over-polishing of pop recordings seems pretty much a standard part of the territory, but IMO her overall entertainment value surpasses her competition both vocally and in ways I can't quite describe. For instance, I'm not one for music videos (I usually find that they distract from the music itself, instead of enriching it), but I find it hard to look away when she's onscreen ("Blue Jeans" was the first I saw and I was impressed); she has this hypnotically magnetic vibe that doesn't really have to rely on gimmicky antics or overhyped PR campaigns to attract fans. I listen to a bit of Katy, Nikki, and Iggy, I admit, but Lana is just an altogether different league.
ChelseaDagger is offline   Reply With Quote