Music Banter - View Single Post - donald trump 4 prez
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #3025 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
I posted this to Frown, but Huffington Post disagrees with your statement.

Here Are 13 Examples Of Donald Trump Being Racist | Huffington Post
I can go example by example through that if you're interested:

The first one, re Trump saying this about the Khans:

"“If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say. You tell me."

First off, it's ridiculous to parse what he was saying as not being at all humorously intended. But let's leave that aside and suppose that there was nothing humorously intended about it.

He would have been saying that based on beliefs about Islam.

Well, Islam is not a "race." It's a religion.

Religious beliefs are something that people choose to have. And religious conventions are something that people can choose to follow or not.

Even trying to parse this in the most generous way with respect to ideas like racism, if one believes that people have chosen to follow particular religious beliefs and that they've chosen to follow particular religious conventions, there's absolutely no implication that one believes that there's some inherent characteristic related to belonging to that class (I'm using "class" in the (mathematical) "set" sense) that makes everyone who belongs to that class inferior or superior, merely due to class membership.

So taking him seriously, we could say that Trump is perhaps ignorant regarding whether there's a convention in Islam where women are not allowed to speak in a situation such as the Khans' press conference, but nothing about that is racist, or sexist, or anything like that. It would just be ignorance about the conventions of a particular religion.

Also, it's worth noting that he's stating what he did as if he's not even sure about it. Hence "probably," "maybe" and "you tell me."

Do you want me to do any of the others?

Last edited by Terrapin_Station; 09-30-2016 at 01:12 PM.