Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #418 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
But on to the music!

The first LP is an unfortunate situation. I was at first thrilled to find that this summer, The Avalanches' unparalleled debut record from 2000 had finally received a proper reissue, making the album accessible and affordable for everyone. My misfortune, however, began with my purchase of the record from a shop in the UK. It arrived damaged from international shipping, and the shop insisted that I ship the damaged copy back to them before they would dispatch a replacement copy. It cost me an additional $40 to return the item, (as I needed to insure the package less I risk losing both the album and the return shipping expense should the copy be lost in transit). Upon receipt of the return, the shop informed me that they hadn't reserved me a replacement and that the album was sold out. They also refused to reimburse me for my return shipping expense. So now I have no album plus a $40 hole in my account. I've ordered a replacement from another seller Stateside and hope to receive it soon.

My misfortune aside, this album is a treasure for any listener interested in sampledelica and in music which pushes the boundaries of copyright. Since I Left You, which comprises an estimated 3,500 samples is, like all good sample-based music, a legal logistical nightmare.

While it is difficult to summarize the unique flavor of this debut, Christian Ward of NME accurately described it as, "a joyous, kaleidoscopic masterpiece of sun-kissed disco-pop."
Whether you're a purist who insists that The Original Australian Zomba Promo Mix is the only proper version or you're just grateful that XL finally released an affordable reissue; Since I Left You is an undisputed classic of the sound of summer.

Yes. Yes ****ing yes! I've been dabbling in sample-based instrumental hip hop like DJ Shadow, J Dilla, and Lil Ugly Mane, and this album happened to come up in my search for similar ****. Blasted my ears right off. How the world can let copyright laws get in the way of such artistically amazing music such as this is the height of bull****.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote