Music Banter - View Single Post - First Punk Band?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #75 (permalink)
riseagainstrocks
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
The Pistols brought the nihilistic sound, attitude and look, and the politics and violence that attracted millions of imitators in the UK and the US to form bands like Black Flag, the Circle Jerks, Misfits, Discharge, The Exploited, Green Day, Offspring ect, ect. Without the 70's there would have been no 80's, without the 80's no 90's.

Anyways punk is irrelevant now. It was a youth culture movement that existed when big urban centers like London and New York had large inhabitants of urban white kids running around, rebelling against arena rock. Try finding that today. Grime and hip hop are the punk of today, punk is dead, no more, get with the times.
Wholeheartedly agree. Punk "rock" has always been about style over substance. One of the reasons there are no real sub-genres. (i.e. Surf punk is surf rock, but bands like Agent Orange had spikey hair so it was called surf punk. They have more in common with Dick Dale than Johnny Rotten). Not that there hasn't been innovation or novelty in punk's sound, but the unifying factor is political engagement (on levels ranging from Marxist to anarchist) and a rejection of most mainstream cultural and fashion trends. One of the most interesting things I've heard since the November elections (and I apologize for lightly introducing this here) is that punk rock, as counter-culture protest music, has a real chance of being relevant again. I've personally grown out of all but a few songs (Anti-Flag's Kill the Rich and No More Dead are still favorites), but it would be cool to see it again.

I grew up thinking The Damned were the first real punk band, but from the generally learned opinions in this thread it looks like they were about 2 years too late.

Final thought, haven't watched it yet, but there is a documentary called 'A Band Called Death'. I got soooo excited as I thought it was about the seminal Florida death metal band. It is not. I'll admit to be disappointed to the point of not watching it on purpose.