Music Banter - View Single Post - What Did President Trump Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #3857 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Maybe when you grow up someday you'll figure it out, but the more time you spend dealing with government (which I have), the more conservative you become. I was far left in high school through college. Once I got out into the real world and actually started running into government through my business, I became convinced (if nothing else) that they're far more incompetent than you could ever dream of. I have absolutely no faith in this point that the government will ever be able to efficiently create the kind of overarching social safety net the left would like to see while still affording Americans the autonomy that the right would like to see.
It's hilarious when people speak as if their experience is the universal human experience. Funny thing, I've grown more left wing as I've gotten older. I was always skeptical of government, but it took working in the corporate world for me to understand that corporations—contrary to the fantasy often peddled in the US—are generally disorganized, bureaucratic garbage dumps, where the people in charge are rarely the best and brightest and are far more often the best schmoozers or the biggest assholes. I also grew to understand that the prevailing corporate philosophy of perpetual growth is not only unsustainable but is actually a huge problem because it compels companies screw over workers, screw over any other people who get in their way, and degrade the environment. I've come to realize that government is one of the only even remotely effective levers we have against corporate misbehavior. Beyond that, just from living in the "real world", I've come to understand that the American right wing's supposed support of individual rights is bullshit.