Music Banter - View Single Post - The Band w/ the biggest impact
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Expletive Deleted
Dancing Machine

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Theres no direct quotes on that...The Pixies arent even the biggest influence on Nirvana overall, they really share more similarities with The Melvins and Black Flag than they do with The Pixies.

"I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies"
Kurt Cobain

Or do you doubt that the BCC knows what they're talking about?

Quote:
I dont really hear any real similarities between the two myself, the vocals and the guitar are not at all similar...And the songs are not quiet as agressive as Nirvanas.
Of course you don't, you don't want to have to admit that they ripped them off. And Pixies songs aren't as "agressive" as Nirvana's because they never had to market themselves to Grunge loving teenagers.

Quote:
I dont consider Nirvana a ripoff of The Pixies, they barely sound alike at all, and if Kurt Cobain didnt go on about how he loved The Pixies i doubt anyone would be making such a comparison, to me its just a bunch of elitist douchebags making a excuse to bring Nirvana down.

The only real similarities is the soft/loud dynamic, and Nirvana took this format form from The Pixies and took it to a whole new level, by making the music much louder and harder...And they made this style much more popular.

Either way, its NOT like The Pixies were the first band to do the soft/loud thing, Led Zeppelin have done it with several of their songs...King Crimson and Jethro Tull have done it too.
You're giving Pixies way too little credit. Loud/soft wasn't the only thing they did, they merged pop music and white noise in a way that hadn't been heard since The Velvet Underground. Nirvana did this, only a good looking, angsty lead singer is far more commercial than a fat guy in a college rock band.

And Led Zep, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull may have done the soft/loud thing too, but Kurt Cobain never praised them the way he praised Pixies. Besides, Nirvana weren't even the first Grunge band, something they're so often credited with. Does that mean that everything they did was null and void (which is what you seem to be saying about Pixies with bringing up Led Zep, etc.)?
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote