Music Banter - View Single Post - What song is the epitome of heavy metal for you?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Identity Matrix View Post
I mean... I didn't knock on those albums. NotB and Powerslave are amazing records. But there really is never a dull moment on Somewhere in Time.
Um ... "Alexander the Great" (Alexander the Too Long), "The loneliness of the long distance runner"? Ugh. Great songs on it, sure, but there's a lot I would pass on certainly. Not particularly crazy about "Stranger in a strange land" or "Deja Vu" either. I don't hate them, but I can live without them. For me, that makes it the least consistent album up to that, and prior to the godawful X Factor.
Quote:
I'll save them the trouble.

The question is what is the epitome of heavy metal for you?

If those bands, which besides black sabbath are not metal, are what you find to be the epitome then say it. And it doesn't matter, at least for this thread, what started the genre, what defines it is what is important.
Also, it's what song, not what band(s)?
Quote:
All three of those bands formed the exact same year, 1968. Black Sabbath does not sound like Deep Purple, or Led Zeppelin. Did Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin pioneer heavier music and hard rock? Absolutely. But Black Sabbath would be the first Heavy Metal band. Nothing before that would be heavy metal.
I agree. Sabbath yes, Purple/Zep emphatically no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Not even worth trying to explain it to him. He also thinks that Led Zeppelin invented folk, punk, funk, blues, and jazz.
When we all know that was Chad.
Quote:
I like your picks. Pretty much everything up through Seventh Son I enjoy immensely. But from NotB through Somewhere in Time is one of the most excellent streak of albums for me.
I would consider Maiden's "golden period" (shut up Batty) to be Killers/Number/Piece/Powerslave/Somewhere/Seventh