Music Banter - View Single Post - What Did President Trump Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #5612 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I wonder if a request like that is considered illegal if there is not any (proven) action behind it? I don't disagree that the firing was related to this and was done to cover Trump's ass, but proving that kind of intent in court is an incredibly difficult thing to establish. Not to mention that the president has the privilege of replacing members of the executive branch for any reason, so any kind of unjust firings claim would fall flat there.

I thought that the threat of tapes was genuine and that that would be his ticket out, but I researched it and Washington D.C. has one-way consent laws for recording (meaning that you don't need someone else's permission to record any conversation you have with them). So that's totally legal and not grounds for impeachment.
Yes, a president can basically do anything. It's the public perception thing that's the issue. His numbers keep tanking and republicans are jumping off of his coattails left and right. Word is that GOP folks are freaking out behind closed doors and that they're about to come out of the closet. Most of these are folks whose jobs are up for grabs next year.

Basically it's like rats jumping off of a sinking ship. Just saw John Dean interviewed (WH counsel for Nixon) and he basically said this is on par, and maybe even worse than Watergate.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”