Music Banter - View Single Post - Chris Cornell dies at 52
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 01:18 AM   #68 (permalink)
Yac
Super Moderator

What I find fascinating is, most of you say "Oh I remember them from my high school day, they were awesome".. Back in high school, I despised Soundgarden. I knew nothing about music really, but back then I was looking for symmetry. Tracks that now make me barf, autotuned and whatnot to the point they sound so generic it hurts, were what I was aiming for. My friends were listening to grunge, black metal and whatnot, and I was alone with my crap numetal bands... My sister used to play Nirvana all the time in her room, I was utterly sick of this music by the time I left home for college..
Anyway, I only "discovered" Soundgarden again when I was .. 25 ? something like that. In fact, I discovered them because of Audioslave. I had to grow up so to say, to be able to appreciate their music. These broken riffs, atypical choruses (I remember thinking "how can anyone like "Black Rain" ? well.. now I know).. This was truly, imo, art. Something unique, special.
They have been with me ever since.
No other band I know managed to be so sad and powerful, so.. well... sh*t, powerful. It's like the riffs, the heavy bass, the wailing voice.. it resonates with me on a level only very few bands can reach.
They were with me during the darkest times of my life. And their music shaped me, to so say, as an adult, not as a high school kid.
Sigh..
Oh, and they also did Black Sabbath better, than Black Sabbath did Black Sabbath. I've been listening to this only for the last hour.
Yac is offline   Reply With Quote