Music Banter - View Single Post - 1983-2000 Vs 2000-2017
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
In the post 2000 era what music do you find especially pioneering (scene or no scene)?

I'd say we're going to need more than Death Grips.

Good post, btw. The impact of online streaming is a crucial component to this conversation.
I wouldn't equate innovation with pioneering, since the latter implies an impact on the music world at large and it's too early to say tbh.

As far as innovation, Matana Roberts' Coin Coin Chapter Three is a great example. I see a lot of innovation in hip hop, like Moor Mother extrapolating on Matana's and Sun Ra's ideas through the lens of industrial hip hop. Shabazz Palaces is another good example. Outside of hip hop, there's The Caretaker's step forward for turntablism, Richard Dawson's new bent on Irish folk, Kurushimi's blackened samurai metal (that isn't as cheesy or as racist as that sounds), who are building on ideas from Zu. Bands like Ehnahre, Yowie, Wolves in Sheepskin, and Jute Gyte are taking metal all kinds of cool places. I also like Stian Westerhus's new album quite a bit because of how new yet familiar it sounded to me.

There's all kinds of cool stuff.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote