Music Banter - View Single Post - 1983-2000 Vs 2000-2017
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #135 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Do you think that makes it too ambiguous to directly challenge?
It would be for anyone I know irl but I think you're easily up to the task. **** man, I've been reading your take on music for some while now. You have a firm grasp on what's important in these time frames. Stian Westerhus and Colin Stetson are probably the two most apropos musicians I can think of for this introspection.

Quote:
It might not be so much a decline in innovation, but a dissipation of what people are being innovative in the face of. Not to mention that people can more easily discover a niche that their ideas fit into with the change in the spread of information. Before people could invent punk on opposite ends of the world and never know about each other. The way music distribution and listening is evolving, it's becoming easier to find your audience, which becomes more informed on similar artists to your sound as it grows. It goes the other way you influencing your contemporaries. Maybe that can contribute to creating prejudices of genre conventions in musicians where they simply would have been ignorant of them before. Two way street it looks like.
Excellent points. At my age that's a huge paradigm shift compared to what I grew up on.
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote