Music Banter - View Single Post - Is classical music still relevant today?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #359 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I think this kind of exclusion is a big part of what turns ordinary folks off to classical music--the pretense that you have to know something about 19th century music to be able to enjoy it, or even be accepted by the audience at the hall.
This doesn't really reflect what I described though, it's more that their lack of knowledge reflects how they view the genre.

Quote:
I know next to nothing about sports, but I'd be a little put off if one of my coworkers drilled me on teams/players/stats after I mentioned that I'm going to a basketball game that night. Does that make me a slave to social customs?
If you were going to the game to get laid or something, then the answer is yes.

Quote:
If someone wants a good excuse to get dressed up, have a nice dinner and enjoy the whole concert hall experience, why should you stop them? After all, they're putting their money into the same orchestras that folks like you and me are, which allows them to keep performing that beautiful music.
I'm not stopping them. I'm just saying that their prevalence weakens your point of concert attendance proving classical music's relevancy. Also I find that kind of person to be annoying.

Quote:
You shouldn't need any cultural credentials to enjoy or be welcome at the symphony.
See this is actually why I don't want people to go see an orchestra for the reasons mentioned earlier: it reinforces the idea that you do need cultural credentials to be welcome at the symphony.

Also very happy to see a new member so willing to get into a deep discussion. Hope you stick around mate.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote