Music Banter - View Single Post - Show Biz Kids.....
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #53 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Both Van Morrison and Mark E Smith are idiosyncratic artists. I don't get the concern about which way they're facing, personally. I saw The Fall and don't remember him doing that on stage. Wouldn't have cared. I was at a ****ing Fall concert. I was ****ing thrilled. The Jesus and Mary Chain did that for the entire show on top of being hidden by fake fog. It was incredible. I saw both Sonic Youth and Prong give performances where they gave no pause at all for applause or audience interaction and I liked that a lot. Once I saw Sonic Youth another time and they didn't play a single recognizable song or use any vocals. I respected that it's Sonic Youth and seeing them do something especially experimental was really a treat but as a fan that was familiar with all their releases I also felt, and I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, like they should have at least thrown us a bone. Like one known tune for an encore but they didn't even return for an encore. Dylan was the only one where I really thought like Christ this sucks. Because it did.
I maintain it's ignorant but whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Re: Springsteen

Full on crowd pleaser but didn't he start refusing to play Born to Run ages ago?
This I do not know. I guess after forty years of playing it maybe he's pissed off. It would be a pity though as I'd consider that an essential encore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'm not sure if I hate the practice of an encore or artists that don't just conform to the practice

either way it's a cocktease and sometimes there can be a good 20 minutes of clapping before everyone realizes dude is already on the tour bus
Always waits till the houselights come up.

I wonder if anyone has ever been to a gig where the band played, finished, intended to come back for an encore and everyone had gone? Now that would be embarrassing!