Music Banter - View Single Post - Horror Writing Competition Round 2: Voting
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 AM   #43 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
I'm kinda surprised by the feedback Nothing Under The Sun has gotten. Everyone seems to think that I had something in mind when I wrote it (like I was trying to be as profane as possible, or trying to take a dig at experimental music, or trying to offer an explanation at the end, or that Logan was based off of Frownland ).

I actually based Logan more off of Chula, and a conversation that I had with him a long time ago in Plug. The dialogue was simply written the way that I heard the characters talking in my head, most of them frustrated musicians who have no need to stand on ceremony. And the ending was based off of the feeling that every prospective pioneer eventually feels, the chill and the horror in their heart when they reach the peak of a mountain and find a flag already planted there. The ending isn't supposed to be an explanation. It's meant to be a joke. Because when you eventually find yourself in that situation, laughing is all that you can do to keep from letting yourself fall from the mountain.
Firstly, I was messing about Frownland, just trying to annoy him. Secondly, it's the last lines that say "this is what happened", and sorry, but it is an explanation, or comes across as one. If it had ended with them listening to the music and (if this were on TV for instance) Logan smiling knowingly, or if he had said something cryptic like "a lot of love went into that" or something then ok, but you basically - and sorry to harp on at you about it, but you absolutely did - explained it at the end, removing any doubt or ambiguity the reader might have had - oh God! Did he really - no, he couldn't have! Did he?

I loved it up to then, and it's still the best of the bunch for me, but the ending made it suck a little and was a disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
Next time I'm gonna try to write something good
This is always a good strategy, though I have not yet managed it.