Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #101 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle View Post
To clarify it would still be a system where you had to pay a certain amount in tax. The word "voluntary" related more to where you choose to send your tax dollars.
Ah, I didn't get that from your post. I think that it's a good idea within limits. I could see something along the lines of 25% of what people pay in taxes being voluntary with the rest being traditionally distributed. I see two issues with it being entirely voluntary. The first is that people are not that smart and will be less likely to put their money towards more complex issues simply because they have a limited (or lack of) understanding of those issues. The second problem is that it would favour those who pay more in taxes and would increase income inequality because of how little the poor would be able to sway distribution in their own favour, which could potentially lead them to be continually ignored and create a cycle.

My wording could use some work but you probably get the idea.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote