Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #236 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
We were coming out of the Great Depression and the potential of our industry was uncertain. We were dealing with war in Europe and rations and female factory workers. Hindsight is 20/20. We couldn't afford to take victory for granted. The Japanese had defeated Russia in the early 20th century and were a serious imperial force in Asia. The had huge warships and the zero and deadly determination. We took it seriously enough to put Japanese Americans in internment camps.
As far as I know the Russo-Japanese war wasn't anything more than a generic war for stuff the same as so many wars that didn't end in ultimate capitulation. It's not like Russia was worried about the yolk of Japanese oppression and soldiers marching through the streets of Moscow. It was just an imperialist war. I know America took Japan seriously, but I don't imagine we had any illusions that they were doing anything but keeping us at bay until they could solidify their position in the Pacific.

Honestly, my knowledge of the time and place at the early stages of the war has mostly reached its limit, but you'd have to come with an argument including a reputable link to rock my world. Or just, you know, a really good argument.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote