Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you listening to --- Prog/Psych Version
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #69 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Anyone can play an instrument or write a song, those things are not talent. Making great music is talent, and great music is very subjective, so it's well within reason to say that Marillion isn't talented if you rightly think they're garbage.
Total bull**** as usual. I can play keyboards but play them ****. I'm not in any way talented. To be able to play a musical instrument you have to be talented. People can spend years (as I did, once) learning and never reach any level of proficiency. This does not make them talented. You think a whole slew of bargain basement punk bands from the 70/80s were talented? Some were, but in no way were they all. Stop trying to make the word mean what you want it to mean.

I don't like your music, at all, but I will readily admit that you are not talentless. You know how to craft and create music, not just bash aimlessly at an instrument. The fact that I don't like your music doesn't allow me to deny your talent, just as a band like, oh I don't know, say Fantomas, cannot be described as talentless, even though I hate what they do. You have to accept that in order to make proper music, ie music someone can listen to NOT necessarily music you or anyone else enjoys, requires talent.
Quote:
Oh and neoprog doesn't mean new prog. It means that tepid new agey bull****.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-progressive_rock

Again, just because you hate it doesn't deny its definition.