Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums of the 2010s
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
The first RTJ album just resonated with me more. I kind of thought it was supposed to be a one off joke album, released as kind of a parody of the summer jam album. I definitely do agree with you about them possibly sounding dated, but I'm curious if the same can be said for Death Grips.
I've wondered about DG myself and never came to any kind of firm conclusion. It's easy to say that they're a product of their times--and they might be--because of the manner that they blew up in, but that's not really the same as sounding dated. Outside of noisiness that could be attributed to other influences, the chaos in their music didn't really dissipate into the hip hop realm in a way that can be directly linked to them. I kind of feel like they've already become dated in some ways, but it could be more of a stylistic rut. I don't know if any datedness when it comes to their sound will come from other artists taking and improving on their ideas or if it's just because they're Death Grips and they saturated the scene. Only time will tell how it goes I guess.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote