Music Banter - View Single Post - Wolf Parade
Thread: Wolf Parade
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Expletive Deleted
Dancing Machine

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
you haven't exactly rebutted anything i said. yes, you're an elitist BECAUSE you dislike EVERY mainstream band, i think that's the definition of elitism in music. i don't dislike indie, because as you and i know, indie isn't really a genre and i listen to a lot of indie bands, who actually get a bit of press....eeekk!! you seem to have a one track mind when it comes to music, any exposure=bad music.
I don't dislike every mainstream band, which you'd probably realize if you stopped reading my posts and morphing them into whatever you want them to say. I've said in the past that I do like a lot of "mainstream" bands, but you only ever want to listen to what you want to hear, which is that I'm an elitist and I hate everything.

Oh, and you said this about indie music...

Quote:
personally, it think it's average ****, the more indie bands i listen to the more i'm convinced i could make a band and become an indie god....indie=average music that should not have left the local bar....it all sounds like a bad soundtrack to an average movie...
And then this...

Quote:
...my personal opinion is that indie music ( real indie music ) is just **** boring average music that you hear in the local bar played by averagely talented musicians, if this is my personal opinion how can it be daft? the definition of indie music is that it's music by bands who are signed on small , independant labels no? well my personal opinion is that those artist stay signed to small indie labels because they're simply not good enough to make it on a large scale and that's why bigger labels have no interest in such bands. franz ferdinand is an honorable exception*.
*which is funny, because Franz aren't Indie.

And then this...

Quote:
yes, i would say that for you a lot of indie bands are fantastic, aswell as hookers and expletive deleted, urban and sweet jane, but for me, bands like , most of them are crap. bands like clor, bloc party and franz ferdinand are not real indie because they are simply too good to be indie, i suspect that if they're still on indie labels ( i know franz is but i'm not sure on the other two ) they're doing it because they choose not to go to big labels ( yes, perhapse to maintain their indepenance ) even though they are more than interested, real indie bands are of no interest to big labels.....of course this is all generalisation, i too like some real indie, but it's very rare...
Anyone seeing a pattern? By the way, he said all of that in ONE thread, about Belle & Sebastian, who last I checked were pretty famous and still one of my favorite bands (along with Spoon, the kings of borderline-mainstream Indie Rock).

Quote:
like moving units and les savy fav and yet dislike franz ferdinand even though anyone can tell that both of the aforementioned bands are watered down versions or the ugly brother of franz.
First off, I do like Franz Ferdinand. Second, Les Savy Fav are so much better than Franz I can't even fucking believe you just made that comparison. Jesus Christ. Les Savy Fav are a Post-Hardcore/Emo Art Punk band, and Franz are a Gang of Four ripoff.

Quote:
or you like EITS and think it's orgasmic, yet Sigur Ros is boring even though objectively, it's bigger and more monumental.
Sigur Ros are not "bigger" or "more monumental" then EitS. As usual, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Sigur Ros use the same boring song structure and same simple chord changes in all of their songs. Sigur Ros' music always gives the appearance of being some great, epic song before you listen to it a few more times and realize it's just smoke and mirrors.Their music gets boring and blends together after a few brief listens, and while you complain about EitS taking too long to "build up," Sigur Ros never do. They're a lesser version of far better Post-Rock bands (including EitS). Explosions in the Sky, on the other hand, are absolutely amazing, and since we're busy making assumptions about each other, I bet if I didn't like EitS as much as I do you wouldn't dislike them as much as you do.

Quote:
Wolf parade has one of the best albums of last year, yet arcade fire, a kindred band, is not even close.....
Kindred? Give me a break. I like The Arcade Fire. I do. I never said I didn't. But everything they've done is obscenely overrated, and not even by people who enjoy "mainstream". They're overrated by everybody, ESPECIALLY people who listen to Indie.

Quote:
your inconsistency is what bothers me, and the only thing i can conclude is going on , is that you're deliberately going against the grain, so if a lot of people like a certain band=bad bad bad....that's just how i feel about your music taste, because even the biggest indie kids on this block like some mainstream from time to time....
Yeah yeah, just because I don't share opinions with everyone who reads Pitchfork and hates commercial music and all that bull, I MUST be "deliberately going against the grain." Please, just because I can form my own opinions and they don't always agree with whatever my fellow "Indie kids" think, doesn't mean I'm doing it "on purpose."
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote