Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
actually, i was making the comparison based on the guys style of singing, and the music ain't that far off either.....and, sorry, but they're really not better than arcade fire....for that to be true, i would have to love every track on the album, which i don't....
Well let's see here, Wolf Parade released one of the best albums of last year, while The Arcade Fire released one of the most overrated of the year before... Hmmm...

And I don't like every song on Wolf Parade's album either, but Funeral's weak middle section brings down an already only-slightly-better-than-average album.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Me llamo Marijan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
Well let's see here, Wolf Parade released one of the best albums of last year, while The Arcade Fire released one of the most overrated of the year before... Hmmm...

And I don't like every song on Wolf Parade's album either, but Funeral's weak middle section brings down an already only-slightly-better-than-average album.
you're beyond elitist
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
you're beyond elitist
You know what my problem with you is adidasss? Everytime you disagree with me it suddenly becomes "You're an elitist, everything you say is bull. I'm right, you're just a prick." Is everyone you disagree with suddenly an elitist, or is it just me?

And can you maybe try and argue that statement?
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Me llamo Marijan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,987
Default

fine, if you're gonna force me to rationalise every goddamn statement i make, i just have a feeling that you judge bands based on their popularity, if an indie band is really good and therefore becomes a bit more popular than your average indie crap, i feel like you'll like them less because they're no longer obscure, and listening to obscure unnknown artists gets you off....that's all.....and i suppose i have a problem with people who don't listen to a single mainstream band, it seems a bit off that from all the good , more popular bands none of them suite your music taste....i don't give that much shit to other people because they do like other mainstream bands....you seem to be the only one talking shit about every goddamn mainstream indie band....
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
fine, if you're gonna force me to rationalise every goddamn statement i make, i just have a feeling that you judge bands based on their popularity, if an indie band is really good and therefore becomes a bit more popular than your average indie crap, i feel like you'll like them less because they're no longer obscure, and listening to obscure unnknown artists gets you off....that's all.....and i suppose i have a problem with people who don't listen to a single mainstream band, it seems a bit off that from all the good , more popular bands none of them suite your music taste....i don't give that much shit to other people because they do like other mainstream bands....you seem to be the only one talking shit about every goddamn mainstream indie band....
Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Jesus, just because I dislike a "mainstream" indie band I'm suddenly an elitist? Yeah, even though I disliked them from when all the indie blogs started raving about them I must dislike them because they're popular.

All I've ever seen you do on here is insult some of the best indie bands (not to mention indie itself, because apparently not being a slave to a major label = bad, and anyone who likes a lot of "obscure" Indie bands is an elitist who hates all music that isn't by some unknown band from bumfuckville, Ohio), and rave about the most overrated, or "popular", ones.

It's kind of funny that you hate Indie elitists who "hate" mainstream music when you seem to hate Indie just as much.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Me llamo Marijan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Jesus, just because I dislike a "mainstream" indie band I'm suddenly an elitist? Yeah, even though I disliked them from when all the indie blogs started raving about them I must dislike them because they're popular.

All I've ever seen you do on here is insult some of the best indie bands (not to mention indie itself, because apparently not being a slave to a major label = bad, and anyone who likes a lot of "obscure" Indie bands is an elitist who hates all music that isn't by some unknown band from bumfuckville, Ohio), and rave about the most overrated, or "popular", ones.

It's kind of funny that you hate Indie elitists who "hate" mainstream music when you seem to hate Indie just as much.
you haven't exactly rebutted anything i said. yes, you're an elitist BECAUSE you dislike EVERY mainstream band, i think that's the definition of elitism in music. i don't dislike indie, because as you and i know, indie isn't really a genre and i listen to a lot of indie bands, who actually get a bit of press....eeekk!! you seem to have a one track mind when it comes to music, any exposure=bad music. and this is also something i don't get about you, which in turn frustrates me, it's that you for instance, like moving units and les savy fav and yet dislike franz ferdinand even though anyone can tell that both of the aforementioned bands are watered down versions or the ugly brother of franz. or you like EITS and think it's orgasmic, yet Sigur Ros is boring even though objectively, it's bigger and more monumental. Wolf parade has one of the best albums of last year, yet arcade fire, a kindred band, is not even close.....your inconsistency is what bothers me, and the only thing i can conclude is going on , is that you're deliberately going against the grain, so if a lot of people like a certain band=bad bad bad....that's just how i feel about your music taste, because even the biggest indie kids on this block like some mainstream from time to time....
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
you haven't exactly rebutted anything i said. yes, you're an elitist BECAUSE you dislike EVERY mainstream band, i think that's the definition of elitism in music. i don't dislike indie, because as you and i know, indie isn't really a genre and i listen to a lot of indie bands, who actually get a bit of press....eeekk!! you seem to have a one track mind when it comes to music, any exposure=bad music.
I don't dislike every mainstream band, which you'd probably realize if you stopped reading my posts and morphing them into whatever you want them to say. I've said in the past that I do like a lot of "mainstream" bands, but you only ever want to listen to what you want to hear, which is that I'm an elitist and I hate everything.

Oh, and you said this about indie music...

Quote:
personally, it think it's average ****, the more indie bands i listen to the more i'm convinced i could make a band and become an indie god....indie=average music that should not have left the local bar....it all sounds like a bad soundtrack to an average movie...
And then this...

Quote:
...my personal opinion is that indie music ( real indie music ) is just **** boring average music that you hear in the local bar played by averagely talented musicians, if this is my personal opinion how can it be daft? the definition of indie music is that it's music by bands who are signed on small , independant labels no? well my personal opinion is that those artist stay signed to small indie labels because they're simply not good enough to make it on a large scale and that's why bigger labels have no interest in such bands. franz ferdinand is an honorable exception*.
*which is funny, because Franz aren't Indie.

And then this...

Quote:
yes, i would say that for you a lot of indie bands are fantastic, aswell as hookers and expletive deleted, urban and sweet jane, but for me, bands like , most of them are crap. bands like clor, bloc party and franz ferdinand are not real indie because they are simply too good to be indie, i suspect that if they're still on indie labels ( i know franz is but i'm not sure on the other two ) they're doing it because they choose not to go to big labels ( yes, perhapse to maintain their indepenance ) even though they are more than interested, real indie bands are of no interest to big labels.....of course this is all generalisation, i too like some real indie, but it's very rare...
Anyone seeing a pattern? By the way, he said all of that in ONE thread, about Belle & Sebastian, who last I checked were pretty famous and still one of my favorite bands (along with Spoon, the kings of borderline-mainstream Indie Rock).

Quote:
like moving units and les savy fav and yet dislike franz ferdinand even though anyone can tell that both of the aforementioned bands are watered down versions or the ugly brother of franz.
First off, I do like Franz Ferdinand. Second, Les Savy Fav are so much better than Franz I can't even fucking believe you just made that comparison. Jesus Christ. Les Savy Fav are a Post-Hardcore/Emo Art Punk band, and Franz are a Gang of Four ripoff.

Quote:
or you like EITS and think it's orgasmic, yet Sigur Ros is boring even though objectively, it's bigger and more monumental.
Sigur Ros are not "bigger" or "more monumental" then EitS. As usual, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Sigur Ros use the same boring song structure and same simple chord changes in all of their songs. Sigur Ros' music always gives the appearance of being some great, epic song before you listen to it a few more times and realize it's just smoke and mirrors.Their music gets boring and blends together after a few brief listens, and while you complain about EitS taking too long to "build up," Sigur Ros never do. They're a lesser version of far better Post-Rock bands (including EitS). Explosions in the Sky, on the other hand, are absolutely amazing, and since we're busy making assumptions about each other, I bet if I didn't like EitS as much as I do you wouldn't dislike them as much as you do.

Quote:
Wolf parade has one of the best albums of last year, yet arcade fire, a kindred band, is not even close.....
Kindred? Give me a break. I like The Arcade Fire. I do. I never said I didn't. But everything they've done is obscenely overrated, and not even by people who enjoy "mainstream". They're overrated by everybody, ESPECIALLY people who listen to Indie.

Quote:
your inconsistency is what bothers me, and the only thing i can conclude is going on , is that you're deliberately going against the grain, so if a lot of people like a certain band=bad bad bad....that's just how i feel about your music taste, because even the biggest indie kids on this block like some mainstream from time to time....
Yeah yeah, just because I don't share opinions with everyone who reads Pitchfork and hates commercial music and all that bull, I MUST be "deliberately going against the grain." Please, just because I can form my own opinions and they don't always agree with whatever my fellow "Indie kids" think, doesn't mean I'm doing it "on purpose."
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Me llamo Marijan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
I don't dislike every mainstream band, which you'd probably realize if you stopped reading my posts and morphing them into whatever you want them to say. I've said in the past that I do like a lot of "mainstream" bands, but you only ever want to listen to what you want to hear, which is that I'm an elitist and I hate everything.
well, that's just the impression i got, when you start talking about mainstream music, i'll notice it more....and name some mainstream bands that you really really like....go on, then i'll back off forever...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
Oh, and you said this about indie music...



And then this...



*which is funny, because Franz aren't Indie.

And then this...
franz aren't indie? i beg to differ, domino is still an independant label as far as i know...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
Anyone seeing a pattern? By the way, he said all of that in ONE thread, about Belle & Sebastian, who last I checked were pretty famous and still one of my favorite bands (along with Spoon, the kings of borderline-mainstream Indie Rock).
your point? i still stand by everything i said....there are a few indie ( and by indie,i mean "hard core" indie ) bands i like, but on a whole....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
First off, I do like Franz Ferdinand. Second, Les Savy Fav are so much better than Franz I can't even fucking believe you just made that comparison. Jesus Christ. Les Savy Fav are a Post-Hardcore/Emo Art Punk band, and Franz are a Gang of Four ripoff.
how can you say you like a band and then say something else is so much better, i like my bands equaly, if i just "like" them, i'll say they're allright, but i wont be buying their album.....is that the kind of like you're talking about?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
Sigur Ros are not "bigger" or "more monumental" then EitS. As usual, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Sigur Ros use the same boring song structure and same simple chord changes in all of their songs. Sigur Ros' music always gives the appearance of being some great, epic song before you listen to it a few more times and realize it's just smoke and mirrors.Their music gets boring and blends together after a few brief listens, and while you complain about EitS taking too long to "build up," Sigur Ros never do. They're a lesser version of far better Post-Rock bands (including EitS). Explosions in the Sky, on the other hand, are absolutely amazing, and since we're busy making assumptions about each other, I bet if I didn't like EitS as much as I do you wouldn't dislike them as much as you do.
ok, everything you say about EITS and sigur ros is your opinion, so i wont delve into it further, but seriously, i don't dislike EITS because you like them, if you think about it, i check out anything you recommend and then base my judgement on them, i went to check out EITS because you said they were realy good, and i didn't like them, i checked out wolf parade, and can't get enough of them, that should be proof enough that i don't discriminate. my problem isn't with the bands you like, you like a lot of good bands i'm sure, i just get a little crazy when you criticise bands you don't like....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
Yeah yeah, just because I don't share opinions with everyone who reads Pitchfork and hates commercial music and all that bull, I MUST be "deliberately going against the grain." Please, just because I can form my own opinions and they don't always agree with whatever my fellow "Indie kids" think, doesn't mean I'm doing it "on purpose."
fine......

on a seperate note, this thread was meant for you, but i'm guessing you didn't read it....( shows that i respect you if you didn't notice )
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss

franz aren't indie? i beg to differ, domino is still an independant label as far as i know...
Thats only in Europe , as far as i`m aware they`re on Sony for the rest of the world.

Not that it should make any difference to the quality of the music
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
well, that's just the impression i got, when you start talking about mainstream music, i'll notice it more....and name some mainstream bands that you really really like....go on, then i'll back off forever...
The Arcade Fire, The Strokes, Queens of the Stone Age, Franz Ferdinand, The Futureheads, Eels, Radiohead, plenty of Britpop, etc. Or are those bands still too "Indie" for you?

Quote:
franz aren't indie? i beg to differ, domino is still an independant label as far as i know...
What Urban said, they're distributed by Sony here.

Quote:
your point? i still stand by everything i said....there are a few indie ( and by indie,i mean "hard core" indie ) bands i like, but on a whole....
My point was that you said you liked Indie, when it's pretty clear to me that you don't like Indie bands unless they're semi-famous.

Quote:
how can you say you like a band and then say something else is so much better, i like my bands equaly, if i just "like" them, i'll say they're allright, but i wont be buying their album.....is that the kind of like you're talking about?
I've never met anyone who liked every band they listened to "equally." I don't see how it's strange to like some bands more than others.

Quote:
ok, everything you say about EITS and sigur ros is your opinion, so i wont delve into it further, but seriously, i don't dislike EITS because you like them, if you think about it, i check out anything you recommend and then base my judgement on them, i went to check out EITS because you said they were realy good, and i didn't like them, i checked out wolf parade, and can't get enough of them, that should be proof enough that i don't discriminate. my problem isn't with the bands you like, you like a lot of good bands i'm sure, i just get a little crazy when you criticise bands you don't like....
Fair enough, it just seems to me that you take every chance you can to criticize bands I like, but you get so offended when I do the same to you.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.