Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #20139 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I've seen Life of Brian. I even had it on VHS as a kid.
I haven't seen any of the rest or even heard about most of them, so here's some IMDB work for me to do. Anything that seems interesting will go on my watch list. The only thing here I have my reservations about right off the bat is Jesus Christ Superstar. I like a good musical but oh boy do most of them suck.
I don't know what you like in musicals, but I'm not really a fan of them at all. I do love this one though. It's Andrew Lloyd-Webber, if that helps. Or hinders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mord View Post
I listened to some Marillion the other day. What a cringefest.
What album, as a matter of interest? I've given up trying to get people into Marillion, and have decided just to continue enjoying them as I have for over thirty years now. But I am curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's not the fact that you don't like it though, it's your explanation of why you don't like it that makes me suspect you're not catching the director's intent.

I don't really know Marillion so I can't comment on them specifically, but I can think of many examples of music I once disliked that it took me gaining a better understanding of for me to embrace it.
This is very true. I used never listen to Beefheart. I kind of still won't, but I'm less "this guy is crap" now and more "meh, some of his less experimental albums are ok."
Frown, put the gun down. Let's talk about this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I think The Purple Rose of Cairo is my favourite of his. Reflexive films really get me off.

On second thought Zelig might be his best.
Not really a fan of his neurotic style, but Bananas and Sleeper, as well as Take the Money and Run are great.