Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #5133 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Are you guys even being serious here? I can't tell.
Slayer is the AC/DC of thrash metal.
Of course their songs don't sound literally the same, but... close enough for the degree to which I care about the band. Ok so the very first album and Diabolus in Musica were a bit different, but how many albums do they have?
100%. And the next statement is, well, just wrong. I mean, AC/DC? I should get Batty to give Tom your home address....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Are you? Because that's hella wrong.

They have 12 albums and they're all great and unique except for Repentless. And World Painted Blood to a lesser extent.
And Undisputed Attitude. That's just awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
AFAIC they're all night and day different. Reign in Blood was the savage, 30 minute headbang whose only purpose was to destroy everything; South of Heaven was when they slowed down, got melodic, and Tom Araya didn't scream as much; and Seasons in the Abyss was where they basically summed up their career with their most polished album to date, while also pushing their more melodic experimentations to their logical conclusions. To me it's not even splitting hairs. Those albums are simply highly different.
QFT. Even I recognise the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I mean basically yeah, but it was also by far the best Slayer album since Seasons in the Abyss and the only one I've cared about since (although as a teenager I definitely did have some love for God Hates Us All.) But if you ever do me any favor then listen to their first three albums in sequence and then tell me all their **** sounds the same. Those albums all have a Slayer-ness, but they sound almost nothing alike in a lot of ways, from production to delivery to vocals. They're basically the sound of a band perfecting thrash with each subsequent release, and no other band would ever touch that evolution. After that the band's sound never really expanded to the same extent, even though it definitely did evolve.
And don't forget Haunting the Chapel.