Music Banter - View Single Post - Racism (Yeah, that's right: I'm callin' it!)
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #520 (permalink)
DwnWthVwls
Fck Ths Thngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
You feel like it detracts and I feel like it actually adds to it the win. It acknowledges their merit while also acknowledging the fact that they were able to excel AND win in a ceremony that usually doesn't recognize the work of that race. I don't feel see why you can't focus on black excellence or any other race, gender or disability that you want to push forward.
Because I don't view that as progression. I totally acknowledge your point in how they are able to excel in something when they are at a disadvantage because of some social construct, but what good does that do in resolving the deep-rooted segregation of the society? The only reason race is even acknowledged in this instance is because there isn't some "greater handicap" in the running to cheer about.. Do you see "first black" whatever in the special Olympics? Nope, because they don't recognize race in that event. I want society to reach a point where achievements are congratulated based on the merits they represent.. Attaching anything extra to it just slows social progression.

If you want to have rewards/ceremonies for specific groups or whatever, go right ahead, but making a big to do out of a specific winner in an open field because of something other than what the award is meant to represent is not a good thing imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump

Last edited by DwnWthVwls; 09-20-2017 at 10:44 AM.
DwnWthVwls is offline   Reply With Quote