Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #6750 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
The main advantages of using Linux come more from being able to go hard into customization, so it really is an excellent kernal for computer enthusiasts. That being said, there are some really great uses for an every day user. The main major perk is that it's free, you can't beat that. It generally will never get computer viruses, so you don't really have to worry about that. Other than that though... I generally think of it as more of a hobbiest thing. It can be fun though, and you will likely learn a lot more about how PC's work.
I run Linux and Windows servers at work. CentOS 7 / 2012R2 specifically. I gotta say that Linux is the most reliable.

I run java and php web apps on top of those Linux boxes and the only thing you have to watch out for are vulns in applications. *cough*apache struts, Equifax, etc.*cough*

Can't say that I'd have much use for Linux on the client side, but as far as operating system stability is concerned, Linux is the way to go if all you're doing is general computering and internetting.

For those of us like myself that use apps only available on M$ Windows, I still rock 7 at home, but 10 is pretty decent. My helpdesk guys switched the company over to it last year and it's growing on me.