Music Banter - View Single Post - Poll: Old or New? What do you listen to more and why?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #90 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

I was curious how my listening ranges from old to new so I ran some metrics from my database and manually keyed the 100 most prominent years of content from my library into a spreadsheet and produced some graphs mapping the results.

Given the great disparity between total recordings in one decade vs another I found that I had to break the graphs up into three different segments of years in order to make the data function effectively. Broad ranges of years with fewer than 300 occurrences would otherwise produce a flatline if mapped alongside years with several thousand occurrences, so please note that the range on the Y-axis varies from graph to graph.

Here are my results based on the top 100,000 recordings in my library.

In summary, there is a significant representation of recordings composed in 1928, with 885 occurances. This is almost entirely due to a vast collection of Benny Goodman recordings I acquired a while back.

The next major spike occurs between 1970 and 1979, represented by a significant archive of kosmische musik. A large contributor to this section is The Progressive-Kraut-Psych-Avant-Garde Rock Collection, encompassing nearly 10,000 complete album recordings of the genre.

1990 begins another significant mark where each year introduces 1000 or more recordings, peaking at 2006 with 5,402 in that year alone.

My near-rabid listening tapers off after 2013, with 300-600 albums a year and only 100 thus far in 2017.

I find of late I'm spending less time ravenously consuming music and engaged in other, more introspective activities.

I hope that suffices to answer the question of the thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote