Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 12:21 AM   #897 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
This might apply since Trump is obviously using his partisan base to try and influence the owners.
I appreciate your use of the word might. Here are my thoughts on the law as it applies to this.

If (1) applies to this case, then he's good because he's just saying "well how nice if [lame pandering that doesn't reference legal action]". That's not threatening an act. Easy.

(2) is where it gets tough. The use of the word influence is extremely ambiguous, do you have any cases that establish precedence for that? You yourself have told me that the president is an incredibly influential figure and that people will glob onto his actions regardless of their ethical nature. So according to that law, anything that a president does that causes someone else to do something is illegal, which would put every president in jail which makes me think that there's more to the picture than that. If I had a legal definition for influence that aligned with this case, I would probably agree with you, but I'm too lazy to find it myself.

Imo, it's just a very blatant display of a traditional PR tactic from a person who is not used to being a figure with an almost UNPRECEDENTED(!!!!!!!) amount of scrutiny directed towards every breath he takes on a scale that's large enough for people to not just roll their eyes at it. Not that most of the breaths he takes aren't polluted from the oil companies he takes bribes from etc etc however much qualifying it takes to get you to actually see my point, of course. Either this boilover will fizzle out and be forgotten when the heat is adjusted or it will lead to some actual SCOTUS/Congressional decisions that could put Trump in a pinch. For now, my money's on the former because I gamble on politics like a good citizen.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote