Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 05:23 AM   #7230 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I'm very disappointed by the number of you who consider voting to be a waste of time. Didn't you notice that some recent presidential elections went:-
Republican win - Bush
Democrat win - Obama
Democrat win - Obama
Republican win - Trump
Voting did that, and anyone who suggests that America under Trump is the same as America under Obama is disconnected from what is happening to the US.

Yesterday Frownland suggested that voting perpetrated evil, but thinking about it, I'd say that voting is more about blocking evil. The Brits did it in 1924 by denying power to Oswald Mosely, fascist sympathizer and leader of The Blackshirts :-

Quote:
Mosley, whom Stanley Baldwin described as "a cad and a wrong 'un", contested the result. It took several recounts before Chamberlain was declared the winner by 77 votes and Mosley blamed poor weather for the result.
The vote number is small because it was a local election, but the principle is the same. By my reckoning, Trump is "a cad and a wrong 'un" and should have been blocked from power by more people turning out to vote against him.

Occult and Batlord are both reduced to writing oxymorons to champion not voting:-

Occult by saying that people who turn out and do something are more apathetic than people who stay at home.
Batlord by talking about a "sort of oligarchy" of people who show up to vote. Well, the people who show up to vote is a club open to every citizen, the exact opposite of an oligarchy.

(Apologies if this post seems a bit blunt, but I had to get it off my chest in 10 mins otherwise I'll be late for work.)