Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #290 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Knowing nothing of the American school system I ask: what subjects are mandatory? Say from, what is it you call it? High school? From there on. We used to have (probably still do) English, Irish, some other language (usually Spanish or French, in some cases maybe German), Maths, Science (split up after primary school into three disciplines: Chemistry, Biology and Physics), History, Geography and (of course) Religion. Just wondering: of those, I enjoyed English (obv), History, some Geography, even a little Spanish and French, to the point where I can still remember some of the passages in the books. Most of the rest I hated, maths was my worst subject. Children were, are and always will be pricks, but if you're prepared to kind of "learn on the sly", keep your head down and not look too much like a swot/teacher's pet, you can actually get something from school. Well, I did. And I hated school.

But with the prevalence of information available now that was not there when I went to school, I do wonder if, if you could trust kids/parents to, teaching at home via the internet etc could work? It certainly seems the school system is being used more as, as Occult says, a way of dumping your kids on someone else for seven hours a day.