Music Banter - View Single Post - Catalonia
Thread: Catalonia
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
this isn't necessarily true for all right leaning libertarians but it pretty much hits the mark as far as Goofle is concerned

I mean for example on an issue like borders the true libertarian position is not the one he takes instead he defends nationalism
True libertarianism is a great thing as far as social issues are concerned, even if I don't agree with their economic views, but a large percentage of people who identify as libertarians or who espouse many of the same views would have either supported Hitler or said nothing against him in the 30s and 40s had they been raised in that time period. But a large percentage of humanity in general would have said nothing against him in public anyway, so take that as you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle View Post
There are different views on borders/nation states within the Libertarian movement but there’s certainly nothing within the ideology that supports your claim. You’re just doing what I said in my first response.

I do agree with you that many self-identifying Conservative Libertarians have quite hardline Nationalist/closed border sentiments though. Or even some Anarcho-Capitalists, but I think that’s when looking at the current situation. They would argue that if you removed state welfare programs there would be no need for borders.
I'm definitely saying that it's an issue with many MODERN libertarians and conservatives, and not an issue with libertarianism specifically as an ideology. I mean the 4Chan libertarians, Gamer Gaters, and the /r/thedonald types are straight up Hitler Youth out of time, but modern libertarianism as practiced by a sad number of individuals is most definitely fascist prone.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote