Music Banter - View Single Post - Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #253 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

To add to Elph's comments, the VU didn't particularly like Nico. Yes, she was pushed on them by Warhol and I'm sure she was relieved when they parted ways. She did make a nice album at the end of 1967.

I actually bought a copy of the album at the Salvation Army of all places with the banana peel still intact (of course dummy me peeled the banana off like an idiot). I think what makes the album so special is the contrast of the musical styles compared to the happier psychedelia of the period. While much of the music on the radio wanted you to get high and love life, VU was coming from a dark place with songs about pushers and needles. Maybe that's why it took years for people to really get into them.

Maybe some of it has to do with the later success Lou Reed had with his solo career. I don't think he was ever as good as he was with VU though. After Transformer and, with the exception of a couple of songs, he really doesn't do a lot for me.

But I think there was something special with Reed, Sterling Morrison, John Cale, and Maureen Tucker. Nico, admittedly, was more or less along for the ride, but I don't think she takes anything away from the album at all.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote