Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #14614 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Re: Hendrix

Too easy. Kinda like saying John Wayne was the greatest cowboy actor. Hendrix definitely turned the world upside down, and what he was able to do with primitive equipment was astounding (he did have Roger Mayer and Eddie Kramer in his back pocket though).

Buddy Guy doesn't get enough credit for what Hendrix became. Take Buddy's playing along with his theatrics, and Little Richard, and Jerry Lee Lewis, morphed into the late 60s psychedelic era, and Hendrix was almost inevitable.

Not taking anything away from the guy. One of the greatest ever. But he just didn't arrive out of a puff of smoke.
I always thought it was pretty obvious how much he got from rockabilly with his frills and the way he uses the whole neck almost all the time. He took it several steps further though and it's very apparent which is why I took the easy choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I don't really get why Frown saying that he's influenced by an artist is so hard to accept. It's not exactly the same as saying you're as good as that artist. If you really admire the style of some artist and some of the stylings, techniques, expression and mannerisms of that artist somehow get fused and re-combined into your own creative output, then that's influence.
They're confusing influence with imitation and low C's with A's.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote